Saturday, June 12, 2010

Friday Finds: American History

Yes, I know it's Saturday but yesterday, Friday, I was actively engaged in the finding. Up before dawn (and barely home again before 2am) we drove up to Richmond, got lost a little looking for parking, to go to the Homeschooling Convention.

My task was to sort through the diverse array of offerings in American history (Exploration to Victorian) looking for books both accurate and interesting for beginning reader grade levels. I found so many fun books. It was really hard to narrow down the selection. Some were easier to dismiss than others: If I was board reading it how was it supposed to hold the attention of 5-8 year olds? But there were a ton of great ones to choose from -- so much more than 20 years ago.

I am now a huge fan of Jean Fritz's books. I started skimming and then, shamelessly, just outright read George Washington's Breakfast which you might guess, I highly recommend. We also came home with Shh! We're Writing the Constitution and a couple others.

I also discovered Applewood Books they publish several titles I thought were out of print like George Washington's Rules of Civility and Common Sense and -- okay it's not really American history but I want to get one anyway -- The Goops and How to Be Them!!! Anyone who remembers this book will know my joy.

And while we're off topic, sort of, while I was at the convention I also found PlunderChess -- a very cool take on the game of chess.

Back to American History:
I'm a sucker for reproduction parchment paper historical documents and this fold-out timeline was amazing. (And, btw, CBD is actually cheaper than the convention prices on this one. Just saying. Just in case you're as much of a geek as I am and want one for yourself.)


Just a couple more links to share. These from listening to various radio programs and hearing about them: Restore the Tenth. And Repeal the Seventeenth (very enlightening article). State's Rights are an issue once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.