Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Net Negative Calorie Foods

Catabolic foods are those foods which actually contain fewer calories than it takes to consume them.

For example an egg is 70 calories, but when the egg is hard boiled the human body burns more than 70 calories to digest that hard boiled egg. (Mind you, chewing is part of the calorie burning too -- no swallowing whole.)

I recently, happily, discovered that there are bunches of foods that are "net negative" or at least "net neutral" in their calorie content. I thought I'd share my list.

Fruit: (fresh, raw, and preferably organic)
apples
apricots
blackberries
cherries
cranberries
grapefruit
grapes
kumquats
lemons
limes
mangoes
nectarines
oranges
papaya
pears
peaches
pineapple
raspberries
strawberries
tangerines

Veggies: (raw or lightly steamed, and plain)
asparagus
broccoli
Brussels sprouts
carrots
cauliflower
celery
chives
corn
cucumbers
dill pickles
eggplant
garlic
green beans
leeks
lettuce
onions
parsley
peas
peppers
pumpkin
red cabbage
spinach
squash
tomatoes
watercress

Protein: (clean, homegrown, and poached)
trout
flounder
tuna

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.