Monday, January 24, 2011

Quietly Enigmatic

This, then, is British actor Michael Kitchen for those of you who don't know. Quite a few people have never heard of him, if recent conversations are any indication. But then, he does his best to stay out of the limelight. Does his job, does it very well, and goes home.

I discovered him first in the film Enchanted April where he brings his ineffable charm to the character of Mr. Briggs.

Then I discovered the stupendously brilliant series Foyle's War. Which I highly recommend.

I read an article once talking about filming Foyle's War... it seems the scripts would be sent round and Kitchen would cut out large sections of his own lines. He would say 'I can do all that [several paragraphs] with one look.' and, according to the guy being interviewed, he could. Kitchen has something of a reputation for being able to express his characters without using many words. He's known for playing (and being) "quietly enigmatic."

Once you know who he is Michael Kitchen pops up in a lot of things...
He was in Out of Africa, which I never saw, but there he is in a film still from the movie.
I did see Lorna Doone -- and was delighted to discover Kitchen in the role of Judge Jefferies. He's been in oodles of other films and series...
And did I mention he's in my favorite movie, Enchanted April?
Well, he is.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, love Michael Kitchen. Fell totally in love with Foyle's War and bought the series. I've yet to see Enchanted April but it's on my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.