Tuesday, May 25, 2010

But They Are Still LOST

I just finished watching (thanks to hulu) the final episode of LOST. Since my sister is tired of hearing me rant about the sociological and spiritual ramifications of the, to me, disappointing final season of this TV show, I thought I would share my opinions here.

Accordingly in no particular order I shall now list my chief irritations:

Christian Shepherd -- Yes, Kate, they were kidding you. Anyone who is a Christian Shepherd in more than just name would have had a few things to say about that stained glass window for one thing. How many faiths can you fit into one "church"? Although the show borrowed from Christian Scripture an understanding of Christian theology was conspicuous by it's absence.

How many tunnels of light can you cram into one afterlife?

The "man in black" -- I am still trying to decide whether he was meant to be Johnny Cash, Esau, or the archetypal stereotype bad guy. Since he was written in such an obvious way I'm going to go with: bad guy. After all why leave out the "evil twin" myth?

Did I miss the part where they explain why they spoke Latin? Or why The Others stole the children after the first crash. I'm still thinking of the Island of Lost Boys after all Alpert could have been a Peter Pan figure... my vote for Tinkerbell? Clap if you want Jin and Sun to live. Come on, clap harder.

Or maybe it was meant to be the Island of Misfit Toys... all those flawed people searching for someplace to belong and someone to belong to. Even Jacob -- the flawed man in white. The good guy with his pseudo-god role and his smug air of mystery.

I knew it was a bad sign when the statue of Anubis showed up and I was not wrong. Play mythological sudoku with world religions and from the jumble what emerges is still a false religion. It's still the same nine numbers -- out of order they create an interesting puzzle and that's it. While amusing to solve what emerges is a hodge-podge faith bereft of any numeric or intrinsic value.

Sitting in the church of multiple faiths these characters face the "next life" with no certainty of salvation and no clear picture of who the Lord really is. For all intents and purposes they are more Lost now than they ever were before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.