Friday, October 2, 2009

Coffee Break

Seek the LORD and His strength; seek His presence continually!
Psalm 105:4

I found myself speaking recently to a guy who complained that he was run ragged. Events conspired to keep him busy with extra work at church, things broke down at work, and his friends needed him too. Clutching his fast food coffee he explained to me, he was so tired he couldn't even think anymore. In the course of conversation I learned he was spending every spare minute talking to everyone -- except God -- about his difficulties. He relied on caffeine and sympathy to get him through his tough times. And I realized he's not the only one who acts like that.

When we roll out of bed in the morning do we reach for the coffee and complaints? Or do we grab the Bible and time with the Lord to give us strength to meet the day?

Faced with difficulty and exhaustion, in our over-busy, barely-thinking minds it seems easier to skip quiet time. We think 'God will understand. I'm so busy. I'll catch Him tomorrow.' We underestimate the importance of time with our Maker. We think, perhaps, that caffeine will be more effective in getting us through the day. And yet.... Who created caffeine? Who created us? Who knows better than God exactly what we need for each day? So why do we seek the quick fix, the easy "solution" to our problems? Why do we run out for coffee when we ought to run to God?

Let's seek the Lord and His strength today, and every day. I bet it proves to be "the best part of waking up."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.