Thursday, December 17, 2009

Esopus Spitzenberg

"I like you." The Esopus Spitzenberg is my sister's favorite antique apple of the 12 we sampled. Thomas Jefferson and I share her good opinion of this apple. The Spitzenberg was our third president's favorite apple. With a spunky flavor and a friendly freckled skin it's a great eating apple and we are sure it would make good cider too. We could tell that our apple had been stored for some time -- and it seems to store well -- but the flavor fresh off the tree would be even better. This antique apple graduates from fantasy orchard to real orchard at the first opportunity. Only... would someone please tell me how to pronounce that first part of the name? E-sop-us? Es-op-us? Eso-pus?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.