Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Green and Orange

Today, they say, everyone is Irish. Happy Saint Patrick's Day. Most Americans will be wearing green today in celebration of the feast day of this Roman Catholic saint from Old Ireland.

I won't be.

In the traditions of Ireland, it is the Catholics who wear green. Protestants wear ORANGE. In fact, in the more turbulent recent past Saint Paddy's Day saw Scotch-Irish Presbyterians marching in demonstrations known as the Orangeman Parades. So to those in green I have to ask: Are we all Catholic today too?

Me? I'll be the one in brown, or gray, or purple....

1 comment:

  1. Indeedly not Catholic today or anyday lol :)

    It is funny how holidays get turned sideways over time :P

    ReplyDelete

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.