Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Best is Yet to Be

Tonight, talking and laughing after hours at the writers conference the conversation touched a tiny sore spot.
"What are the top ten things you would not want to do alone?" was asked.
"Grow old." I heard.
And my heart broke. My eyes shut on the tears forming, eyelids held together by only the resolution not to flee from the room sobbing. I regained composure.

The woman who, in all honesty, answered that she would not want to grow old alone has inscribed in her wedding band that line of poetry from Robert Frost "Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be..."

My point in mentioning that?
Hi, single people sitting here in the room. WEDDING BAND!

Generally, I do not concern myself over married or single status I just try to follow God's path for my life. But at that moment I was wounded by the unfairness of this other woman, this not-alone woman being able to say she would never want to grow old alone, while I sat there alone.

I was having a nice little private pity party. But let me tell you....
Tonight my nightly chapter from the Bible was Hebrews 13. Have you read Hebrews 13:5? The part where it reads "... He has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'"

Oh.

I'm not alone.

Christ is with me. He reminded tonight when I forgot. He was there to see the tears I almost cried, and He knew my sadness at the idea of growing old alone, and He was with me when I opened my Bible to read the words He had put there for me to see tonight.

I may not have an inscribed gold band to tell me so, but I know He is here with me, saying grow old along with me. And do I believe the best is yet to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.