Friday, May 8, 2009

The Rock Garden


The Ajuga reptans, known commonly as Bugleweed, is blooming again. I love the versitility of this ground cover, which grows happily in sun or partial shade.

I went down to the rock garden today and saw its blue spikes poking up out of the lavender remains of the creeping phlox. In the background bloomed the purple Honesty and hiding amongst their leaves the first flowers of the Lily of the Valley are beginning to show.

Planted on a mound of dirt in the shade my rock garden also boasts pink Old-Fashioned Bleeding Heart in full bloom right now. Twenty-four years old and still growing strong it is one of the oldest plants in my gardens.


Edit: Yes, that's all one plant. It gets bigger each year.

1 comment:

  1. your garden is so beautiful! Bleeding heart is one of my favorites, too!

    ReplyDelete

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.