Friday, June 26, 2015

Producing Produce

Spring doesn't really provide much of a harvest. The garden is still getting the feel of things.  Thinking about what it will do later.  It is only once we have passed the vernal equinox that the garden begins to yield it's summer bounty. Not overwhelming yet, but there are signs of the abundance coming. Growing every day.


The raspberries are ripe again in a few hours. The summer sun turning them ripe quickly now. I just picked a bowl this morning and really ought to put these in the freezer too. Instead I wander through the garden picking warm ripe berries and putting them straight in my mouth "spoiling my dinner" and "grazing" like when I was a child. 

And again today I picked a batch of basil. Other than the basil we have not got ingredients for pesto in the kitchen right now. So I improvised. No point in going to the store just for that.
Stay-at-Home Sort-of-Pesto

Take a couple handfuls of of fresh basil and a smaller handful of English walnuts, and simmer in a saucepan with a little water (just enough to cover the nuts) and a bit of olive oil. Go until the walnuts are soft.  
Once the walnuts are soft turn off the heat and add the rest of the basil, another couple handfuls still "raw." Don't drain the water, unless you used more than I did, just puree it all together with an immersion (hand held) blender. When you think it's done blending add a dash of salt and give it another swirl to be sure. 
Combine with some leftover spaghetti noodles and some shredded mozzarella (which is all the cheese we had left in the house, but you just have to put cheese in pesto and it did work). 
Plate up and serve still warm.
Lovely.

1 comment:

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.