Saturday, June 20, 2015

Simon Says: Blog


It is time, Simon says, to begin blogging again.
I think I have forgotten how. I tell him.
You will remember.
But what will I say? How will I explain three years of silence? I ask him.
There is a season, Simon says, and a time to every purpose under heaven. There was a time to be silent, now it is time to speak again. To blog again.

I go out to the garden. Procrastinating. My colander becomes heavy with raspberries and words I am not writing. June sunlight is drowsy across my shoulders. A storm is waiting to water the earth. The afternoon fades to mosquitoes. Mosquitoes give way to fireflies, fireflies fade to pre-dawn songbirds. And the rain comes down to water the earth. My garden grows. I grow. It is quiet here.

It is time, Simon says.
What if I can't do it?  What if people realize I don't have it all together? What if I make mistakes?
He looks at me with that familiar expression. Did you really think anyone thought you had it all together? It will be okay. And it is time.

So I begin.
It is also time, Simon says, to scratch the dog's ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.