Friday, October 3, 2008

Autumn Olive Jelly

These are Autumn Olive Berries. The bush, listed as an invasive species in many states, grows easily and quickly and prolifically. I find myself on both sides of the fence on this one.
On one hand it IS a non-native plant and a majorly annoying weed in my garden as new seedlings flourish each spring.
On the other hand, it does provide habitat and food for the birds who are feeling the lack of those things in our rapidly suburbaning neighborhood.
(Why yes, I did just invent the word suburbaning, and don't tell me it's not a word. I said it, you read it, and you knew what I meant. It's a word.)
The berries are getting plump now with recient rains, and ripe with the season and it will soon be time to experiment with making Autumn Olive Jelly. Not to steal food from the birds, there's usually more than enough berries, after all you can only eat so much jelly.



After picking the berries, boil them in just enough water to cover them and then mash them through a strainer.
Take 6 cups of the resulting juice
½ cup lemon juice
1 package Sure Jell

Boil together then add
7 cups sugar
Bring to a rolling boil for 2 min
Skim

Pour into sterile jars (baked in hot oven)
Seal with wax

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.