Monday, October 13, 2008

There is a Balm in Gilliad

I have paid careful attention.
They do not speak what is right.
No one regrets his evil,
asking: What have I done?
Everyone has stayed his course
like a horse rushing into battle.

Even the stork in the sky
knows her seasons.
The turtledove, swallow, and crane
are aware of their migration,
but My people do not know
the requirements of the LORD.

They have treated superficially the brokenness
of My dear people,
claiming: Peace, peace,
when there is no peace.

Were they ashamed when they acted so abhorrently?
They weren't at all ashamed.
They can no longer feel humiliation.
Therefore, they will fall among the fallen.
When I punish them, they will collapse,
says the LORD.

Harvest has passed, summer has ended,
but we have not been saved.

I am broken by the brokenness
of my dear people.
I mourn; horror has taken hold of me.

Is there no balm in Gilead?
Is there no physician there?
So why has the healing of my dear people
not come about?

Jeremiah 8: 6-7, 11-12, 20-22

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.