Saturday, September 26, 2009

Three Autumn Things

Cold weather is quilt weather. This week I've been working on designing a few new quilt blocks and a couple quilts using those blocks. The above potholder is one of the prototype blocks and I've just about finished writing the pattern for two quilts using this block.

Apples. Apple Crisps. Apple Cider. Autumn apple bounty from my Mom's organic orchard. YUM! I'm hoping to plant a couple antique apple varieties in my own yard. Who needs extra lawn to mow? Duchess Oldenburg, one of the trees on my wish list is a Russian variety from the 1600s. Is it weird to want historic apples?

My spinning wheel looks great cozied up to the funny little gas fireplace in the corner of the living room. I haven't spun anything since I was about 16, so I'm looking forward to seeing if I can even remember how. For now I've got rosemary hanging up to dry on my reel and I'm still knitting with commercial yarns. Either way, handspun or commercial spun, handknit woolly socks (and toasting your toes by the fire) belong to autumn weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.