Monday, November 24, 2008

Come Ye Thankful People, Come




As the holiday approaches the thought passes through my mind:
WHO are you thanking?

You are, no doubt, thankful for the blessings of your life, you are thankful for health, or wealth, or the afternoon football game when your favorite team finally wins (I'm assuming)...

But who do you breathe that "thank you" to under your breath?

Do you thank a blank universe, random genetic mutating chances, an impersonal deity who wound up the world and left it to fend for itself?

Or do you thank GOD?

Do you actually, or mentally, write Him a Thank You note?


Father, I wanted to write today to thank You for all the blessings in my life. I am not so well-off as some but I am a great deal better off than I deserve. I know that this is Your doing. Thank You for protecting me from dangers I am not even aware of. Thank You for walking with me. Even when I forget to hold Your hand You are always there for me, watching over me and waiting to guide me. Thank You for the way the sun rises and sets, the way clouds roll and oceans foam, for the veins of leaves and blue dwarf stars. Thank You for tadpoles. Thank You for Your Son, and the knowledge of saving grace. Thank You for stooping to write Your name in the dust from which I am made. Thank You. In the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.