Sunday, November 9, 2008

Potluck

Desert first... Pumpkin pie. Yes, I know it's not a bland yellow like a regular pumpkin pie, that's because even though I use the recipe on the label (from the pumpkin can) I triple the spices they say to add... and then I grate nutmeg into it too. It's just better that way.

So, I wouldn't call this a great photo. This is the soup I took, the Potluck was last Sunday, and I'm still getting compliments about it. It's so easy to make too.

My Grandad's Favorite Bean Soup
chop up one extra large onion (or 2 regular sized onions) and put that in the bottom of your "big silver pot" with a little olive oil and just a pinch of kosher salt.
Let that go for a while while you open up all your cans.
First add:
2 cans cream of celery soup
12 oz chicken stock (or bullion and water)
Then add the cans:
1 large can Navy beans
1 small can Pinto beans
1 small can Black beans
1 can sliced potatoes
Plus a box of frozen (now thawed) chopped spinach.
And slice up some Butterball smoked turkey sausage to go in the soup as well.
Simmer for an hour or two, put it in the fridge, pull it out simmer some more for dinner the next night, put it back in the fridge, take it to church and simmer the during the service until the potluck.... this soup just gets better and better until it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.