Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Thought about Books

It seems to me that my favorite novels were almost all published before 1940, most before 1910, and many before 1880... I return again and again to my beloved classics. And I am, most definitely, a re-reader. It is necessary for me to own the book, partly because I often catch myself writing in the margins and partly because any book I like will need to be read again (and again and again). Good stories must be savored and good writing is worth reading over even if you already know by heart how it turns out in the end. Subtle nuances are there to be enjoyed and discovered with each new reading of the tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.