Friday, March 13, 2009

A Verse 31 Woman

Are you a Proverbs 31 woman?
Wait, I mean Proverbs, chapter 16, verse 31.

The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, If it is found in the way of righteousness.
~Proverbs 16:31 (NKJV)
Young's Literal Translation puts it this way:
A crown of beauty are grey hairs, In the way of righteousness it is found.

Is that how we think? Do we respect age, and a long righteous life? Do we consider grey hair to be a glory, a crown of beauty? Not for women, and you may have noticed a product called "Just for Men"... No, in our society, as we age we are told we must dye our hair, hide our age, and cover-up our grey hairs.

A woman's hair is often said to be her crowning glory -- what, I have to ask, is wrong with a silver crown? As the number of grey hairs on my head increase and are starting to show, I should like to think I have earned each one in living a righteous life ( I hope I have, anyway). I still remember a friend of mine in college saying that at her first grey hair -- just one grey hair -- she intended to start using a color rinse. She had no intention of aging. Well, she may dye her hair now, or she may not. We've lost touch over the years; but I suspect she has aged, as I have, whether she admits it or not.

I know my friend was a Christian, and she strove to live a righteous life. And I know many God-fearing women who color their hair. So, please, please don't misunderstand what I am going to say next. But I have to wonder... if I hide my grey hair with dye because the world says I should -- might I someday also reach a point where I hide my faith in Christ because the world says I should?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.