Tuesday, July 8, 2008



Have you ever been to Winterthur in Delaware? Don't forget to take a camera with you. I had only a wobbly cell phone, with practically no memory and absolutely no zoom or flash.


So, you'll have to take my word for it, the place is spectacular.


They have an amazing museum. A fact I didn't fully appreciate when I was dragged there as a child, but now I realize how great it is. I don't think they'll mind if I quote their website "From a collection of more than 85,000 objects made or used in America between 1640 and 1860, Winterthur curators have crafted displays that focus on specific media. ... Objects selected range from historic clothing and craftsmen's tools to exquisite metalworks, ceramics, and paintings."




But, then, the grounds... I could have stayed in the gardens for days, and it wasn't even peak season -- when the gazillions of azaleas are on display. I could weep for the formal gardens, and quarry garden, dozens of beautiful things I have only one small blurry pictures of. I'll just have to go back. I did at least get some clear shots of the Pinetum (this is a Nikko Fir against the late afternoon sun),




the architectural selvage and millstone Stone Circle,

a rill running right across the path from a waterfall to a goldfish pond,

and the Enchanted Garden, with this thatched hut made from the hollow bark remains of an ancient tree.

Moreover, they had small cast metal rabbits as the knobs on the hose spigots in the children's garden. Down to the last detail it's a neat place to visit; I'm glad I got the chance to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.