Monday, July 21, 2008

Road Trip


I have been travelling. Most of the time accompanied by Christian radio stations, sometimes resorting to tapes where the mountains made radio signals and cell phone signals fuzzy. For seven hours on Tuesday and seven hours on Wednesday I had the opportunity to contemplate, meditate, learn, and worship as I drove. Don’t worry, I paid attention to traffic too.


In the State of Virginia on Interstate 81 Northbound, I crossed the James River. The mountains surrounded and swallowed the river in folds of earth, crisscrossed by bridges, by lines of road and rail. At this spot 81 dove towards the valley floor and suspended above the river by concrete and steel continued northbound as though nothing significant had passed beneath its surface. Two roads, Mount Joy Road and Narrow Passage Road flank the James there, if the signs can be believed, and I thought how Biblical it sounded. Like the Mount of Olives, Mount Sinai, the Joy of the Lord is my strength. Narrow is the way. At that spot I thought, perhaps the river received its name less from a king in England, and more from a follower of the One King.
The Book of James in the Bible offers wisdom the early settlers, the namers of rivers, struggling in the new world might have cherished.
My brothers and sisters whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance… 1:2-3
Be patient therefore, beloved, until the coming of the Lord. The farmer waits for the precious crop from the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. You also must be patient. Strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near. … Are any among you suffering? They should pray. Are any cheerful? They should sing songs of praise. 5:7-8,13
I am comforted and encouraged by these words from James, by Scripture, by prayer and by praise as I endure long drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.