Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Voice of the Turtle

I have a line stuck in my head, John-boy Walton saying " Is this the year spring never comes?"

As this spell of ice and snow drags on, the wind whipping temperatures back down below zero, I might be tempted to ask the same question. Except I know the God who made the seasons and I know better: There will never be a year when spring does not come, John-boy.

As long as the earth endures,
seedtime and harvest, cold and heat,
summer and winter, and day and night
will not cease.
Genesis 8:22

The fiddleheads will sprout ferns, flowers will bloom again.

The earth will bring forth fruit.

And dandelions will cover our lawns.

That same episode of the Walton's quotes from the Song of Solomon:

For, lo, the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
the time of the singing of birds is come,
and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Song of Songs 2:11-12

I'm waiting....

1 comment:

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.