Saturday, February 28, 2009

Waiting Room

And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You.
~Psalm 39:7

In waiting rooms, in doctor's offices, there are always wallpaper borders and paint colors that make me question the mental heath of the doctor I am visiting. The chairs are always just uncomfortable enough to remind me that I am not at home, and the prints on the walls always look as though there had been a sale on framed posters nobody wanted at an art museum gift shop. Dentists have only slightly better taste.

The entire experience seems designed to remind patients that they are ill, feel uncomfortable, and need help. The fact that we sit and wait in these awkward chairs staring at dusty silk flowers and flipping through magazines six months old, shows our faith in the physician. We believe that by waiting here there will come a moment when our name is called and we will be ushered into a different room. We will see the doctor, and we will be told what to do to feel better. We will be healed because we waited.

There are moments when life seems designed to remind us that we are not at home on this earth, life is awkward and uncomfortable and just plain not fun. In those moments let us remind ourselves that we are waiting. Waiting with faith that, here on this earth there will come a moment when each of us will hear our names called, and we will be ushered in to see the Healer of our Souls face to face. And we will be healed and taken home, because we waited and trusted in the Lord.

I believe that I shall
look upon the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living!
Wait for the LORD;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the LORD!
~Psalm 27:13-14

I wait for the LORD,
my soul does wait,
And in His word do I hope.
~Psalm 130:5

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it so well.

    Now, while we are patiently waiting...let's see if we can't help decorate and brighten up a few of those offices, walls, and waiting rooms of this world we live in with His touch!

    Arise, shine; for your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you. AMEN! -ISAIAH 60:1

    Have a blessed Satufday. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.