Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Lesson in French Toast

The smell of French toast lingered in the air. And I was hungry. I had left the house before breakfast and it was now passing noon. My stomach rumbled.

"You saved me some, right?" I asked my sister knowing how much she loved Mom's French toast and fully expecting to hear that only one or two pieces had been left for me.

"No. We ate it all."
"What? Why? But I'm hungry."
"Actually," added Mom "we were just thinking of starting lunch. Did you want to get started peeling the sweet potatoes?"
"I can't believe you ate all the French toast!" and I stomped off into the kitchen.

As I stood at the kitchen sink peeling sweet potatoes I heard giggling from the next room. Listening more closely I heard my sister say "She's actually in there peeling the potatoes?!?"
"What's so funny out there?" I was still mad about the French toast. They had no business eating my breakfast and then laughing at me too.
"Didn't you check in the fridge?" My mother wheezed out the words, gasping for breath as she laughed.
While, rocking back and forth in her chair spasmodically in her amusement, my sister managed to add "I can't believe you thought I was serious."

I was having a gullible day, and had missed the joke. It had never occurred to me to open the door of the fridge and look for myself but if I had bothered to check I would have seen my breakfast sitting there that whole time. I had nearly missed it because I didn't look for myself.

When we hear a sermon, or listen to a speaker, how often do we just take them at their word without checking? We should be reading our Scriptures and checking that what we are being told really is the truth. In Acts 17 Paul and Silas travel to the town of Berea and the people there listened, learned, and double checked to make sure they were being taught the truth. Verse 11 tell us they ... received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

I have a feeling the believers in Berea would have thought to look in the fridge for their French toast. Opening our Scriptures is like opening that fridge door: We shouldn't just believe what someone says about the Bible without looking. We should check for ourselves. After all, we may be having a gullible day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.