The tradition has evolved over the years. As this post makes its scheduled appearance (12:01 AM 1/1/9), in Scottish homes all over the world there will be guests first-footing their hosts with a basket containing the following:
- Coal -- so that your heart and hearth may always contain warmth.
- Oats -- so that you may remain humble and your stomach remain full.
- Coins -- so that you may prosper and share your good fortune with others.
- Salt -- so that your lives and your food may have flavor. And
- Whiskey -- because it's Scottish and you can't get Thistles this time of year.
In my home we will have gone to bed and be sound asleep by midnight, and although we do not believe in the superstitions associated with Hogmanay or Saturnalia, I do wonder who will be our first foot in the new year. What will tomorrow bring? And what will this new year bring to each of us?