Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Time to Remember


The Japanese festival of Obon is celebrated in mid-August. At that time hundreds of wooden boats carrying candles are set afloat in on the evening water, to follow rivers out to the ocean and guide spirits of the departed to the next world. What a beautiful ceremony. The flicker of hundreds of candles, lit in honor of departed loved ones, slipping along the currents and out to the next life.

I have always loved the idea of candles floating on the water.
One special birthday my mother, inspired by an illustration by Tasha Tudor, floated my birthday cake down the stream to where we children waited on a bridge. The flickering candles would no doubt have shown up better at twilight, but the memory looses none of it's magic. Candles and cake floating downstream, carried on currents of love.

These ideas come together for me now, as we remember Tasha Tudor on what would have been her birthday. Happy Birthday Tasha.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, such a wonderful image, the floating cake! I bet that was the best birthday!

    ReplyDelete

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.