Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Texture for Tuesday

Texture moves the eye. Shadows, monochromatic shades of the same color, create soft patterns to capture our attention. Understanding texture can add dimensions to our projects as we learn to layer visual textures (instead of solids) for greater depth in our designs.
Monochromatic compositions need not be static. For example these photos of
Summer Phlox ("David") flowers and the bark of an American Sycamore (Buttonwood) sapling. Okay, the flowers have some contrast with little bits of dark background, and the bark has a few drops of a greenish lichen diluting the grey-browns. But you get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lochlanina!

    I just received your wonderful seed packets! You were so sweet to embellish the mailing envelope and the packets, as well. I hope I am successful with the seeds--I kinda have a "brown" thumb, but I will look forward to planting them in the spring.

    I just posted about them on my blog--check it out when you have a chance.

    I also wanted to tell you what a great job you do on your blog! You are so informative and interesting! Keep up the good work. Dana

    Thanks again for the seed packets!

    ReplyDelete

My dear, few, readers you inspire me to keep writing. Thank you.

Comments are moderated to avoid spam and so that I do not have to subject you to that annoying "if you're not a robot" thing.